We’re celebrating our quilting community with a free block of the week quilt along called the Sewcialites Quilt Along. We’ve joined forces with 18 talented designers to bring you a free 38-week quilt along with amazing sampler blocks and sew many options! If you’re just joining us, you can find all of the details over on the Sewcialites Landing Page. We’re sewing up block #34 this week!
This week’s designer is Carrie Nelson! Carrie is a talented quilter, pattern designer, and author. Carrie designed Passion. Carrie recently released her new book A Scrapbook of Quilts with her friend Joanna Figueroa! This wonderful book is a compilation of patterns that will fulfill your scrappy heart’s desire! Don’t worry if you are a beginner, Kimberly can help you sew this block in today’s video tutorial on YouTube.
Carrie sewed her blocks using the Scrapbook of Quilts Starter Fat Quarter Bundle. Carrie has embraced the two-fabric/two-color plan for this block! She has two main sewing tips to share on making this block.
- Cut the setting squares/triangles at 4″ to allow a bit of room for squaring up. Even though it means trimming off a bit more fabric, and taking the time to trim, Carrie has never regretted the extra fabric or step.
- When lining up the block for squaring it up, Carrie always uses the half-measurement of the block as her guideline. In this case, the points of the center block should be on the 3-1/4″ lines of the ruler, horizontally and vertically.Visit Carrie on Instagram (@justcarrieintexas) for more details about her block!
Sewcialites Quilt Along
We invited some FQS staffers to join
Sew Along Perks
Each month, you can enter to win a giveaway by posting your progress on Instagram using #SewcialitesQAL. Last month’s winners are @shilohsquilts and @donnavunderink on Instagram! They’ve been sewing along and sharing their blocks!
Next up we have a special prize bundle for you!
- Farm Girl Vintage 2 Book by Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet (and it’s signed by Lori Holt!!)
- Bee Cross Stitch 2.5″ Rolie Polie by Lori Holt for Riley Blake Designs
- 6″ Sparkle Star Quilt Block Foundation Paper by Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet for It’s Sew Emma
- Quick Press Seam Roller by Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet for It’s Sew Emma
- Prim Sheep Enamel Needle Minder by Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet for It’s Sew Emma
- Prim Star Enamel Needle Minder by Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet for It’s Sew Emma
To enter to win, share photos of any one of your blocks #32-34 on Instagram with the #SewcialitesQAL and tag @fatquartershop. Post your photo by midnight on Tuesday, June 8. You can enter up to 3 times (once for each block)! We’ll pick a winner and announce them here on the blog on Friday, June 11.
Ready to chat? Meet us in the Sewcialites Lounge
Meet your fellow Sewcialites by joining the Sewcialites Lounge on Facebook (where we will also be posting weekly updates and where you can ask questions).
Follow us on Facebook, and Instagram for updates and share your progress with the #SewcialitesQAL hashtag so we can see and share your work. We hope to see you back here on the blog on Friday, June 18 for the thirty-fifth block release of our Sewcialites Quilt Along!