Are you ready to shine? It’s time for the Barn Star Sampler Quilt Along to start! Keep reading for details about the Barn Star Sampler Quilt designed by Shelley Cavanna, and starting this year-long quilt along!
Throughout the year, we’re sewing all the Barn Star Sampler Quilt blocks in the same order as they appear in the book. If you’re just hearing about the Barn Star Sampler Quilt Along, pick up a copy of the book, your favorite half yard bundle, and check out the schedule below! Barn Star Sampler Quilt Book by Shelley Cavanna is available now as an E-book, and the printed version will be available again in March.
This Queen-sized quilt finishes at 80.5″ x 100.5″ finished. It is written for traditional piecing techniques, but if you like to use foundation papers, we’ve created a collection of Triangles on a Roll and additional foundation paper pads that you can use with the Barn Star Sampler Quilt. Be sure to grab anything you need from this optional supplies list.
- Barn Star Sampler Starter Half Yard Bundle
- Barn Star Sampler Foundation Paper Set by It’s Sew Emma
- On the Farm Cream Spots & Dots by Stacey lest Hsu for Moda Fabrics (background)
- Downloadable Swatch Sheet (to plan fabric placement)
Kimberly will be sewing with the Barn Star Sampler Starter Half Yard Bundle, a combination of fabrics from Sunwashed by Corey Yoder and Simply Delightful by Sherri & Chelsi for Moda Fabrics curated by Fat Quarter Shop (it’s due in March).
Quilt Along Schedule
For this quilt along, you’ll be sewing a few blocks each month in the order and number called for in the pattern. Kimberly plans to share her progress according to the following schedule. There won’t be a tutorial for these, as all of the instructions are in the book.
|January||Make two of Block 1||January 27||H200|
|February||Make two of Block 2||February 24||H300, ISE-777|
|March||Make two of Block 3||March 31||H300, ISE-777, ISE-796|
|April||Make two of Block 4||April 28|
|May||Make two of Block 5||May 26||ISE-780, ISE-776|
|June||Make two of Block 6||June 30||ISE-780, ISE-776|
|July||Make two of Block 7||July 28||ISE-795|
|August||Make two of Block 8||August 25||ISE-780, ISE-776|
|September||Make two of Block 9||September 29||H300, ISE-779|
|October||Make three of Blocks 10-15||October 27||H200, ISE-776, ISE-778, ISE-780|
|November||Make four of Blocks 16-20||November 17||H200, ISE-774, ISE-776, ISE-778|
|December||Backing and Finishing||December 15|
From Shelly Cavanna: Replacement Text for Page 72: Cutting for Block 17
- From each of 2 white or light prints, cut: 2 squares 2.5″ x 2.5″ (4 total, 17A)
- From each of 2 dark prints, cut: 1 rectangle 2.5″ x 4.5″ (2 total 17B)
Who’s Sewing Along?
We invited some friends to join us, and they’re sharing their progress along the way! You can follow them on social media for inspiration and tips.
Meet the Quilters
- Anne Boundy, Said With Love, (@said_with_love)
- Kim Lapacek, Persimon Dreams, (@persimondreams)
- Melanie Call, A Bit of Scrap Stuff, (@abitofscrapstuff)
- Rebecca Bird, One Wee Bird, (@oneweebird)
- Reece Ortolani, Hurricane Quilty Stitches, (@hurricanereecequiltystitches)
- Melissa Corry, Happy Quilting, (@happyquiltingmc)
- Pat Sloan, (@quilterpatsloan)
- Gina Tell, Thread Graffiti, (@gina_tell_threadgraffiti)
Join us for the Barn Star Sampler Quilt Along!
You can tune in to Fat Quarter Shop’s Friday Livestreams in 2023 to see Kimberly’s progress, and check out the trunk show video below! She also discussed her plans for sewing along in a past Livestream on October 7.
Keep up with us by following @fatquartershop on Instagram to see and share work from your fellow quilters. Don’t forget to use #BarnStarSamplerQAL to share your progress on social media, so we don’t miss seeing your quilts!