Happy First Day of Summer! Summertime is officially here and what is summer without a picnic? A picnic is a great way to social distance and spend some time outdoors, but you’ll need a quilt to take along! If you aren’t sure which quilt to pack, we can help! We’ve packed a basket of our favorite FREE and low-cost PDF Patterns that are perfect for lounging outdoors. Read on for details on all the patterns and for details on our Pack a Picnic contest!
Paid Picnic Patterns
1. Picnic Patch is a traditional picnic design finishing at 54.5″ x 68″ but can be made smaller or larger! This is a paid pattern by It’s Sew Emma that can be made using a Layer Cake and the It’s Sew Emma Perfect 10 Ruler. What a scrumptious time you’ll have sewing this yummy pattern!
2. Vintage Picnic by Lella Boutique is a sweet pattern with a vintage look you’ll enjoy packing up each time you go out for a picnic. We even have a video tutorial featuring Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique to help you sew it up! If you are reading via email, please click here to view the video. Tip: Lella Boutique’s latest collection, Bloomington, would pair well with this pattern.
3. Picnic by Cotton Way is a paid pattern that beautifully blends Charm Packs with Jelly Rolls. This pattern is easy for beginners and looks sew impressive finished. Just picture lounging on this quilt with some freshly-cut watermelon slices, how sweet!
FREE Picnic Patterns
4. Picnic at Daybreak is a FREE 67″ x 75″ pattern by Moda Fabrics packed full of sweet picnic baskets. Quilters looking for a little challenge will want to sew this up and take it to the park this season! You’ll want to pick up Cake Mix Recipe #7 by Miss Rosie’s Quilt Co. to make your half-square triangles.
5. Picnic Time is a FREE Fat Quarter Shop Exclusive that finishes at 59.5″ x 77.5.” This pattern shows off printed fabrics fabulously and will be the perfect go-to quilt for two! You’ll also see instructions for a matching pillow pattern you’ll be glad you sewed for a nap in the park.
6. Roll-up Picnic by Ruby Star Society is a FREE 60″ x 60″ quilt you can roll-up and take on-the-go for a day in the park as it comes equipped with a carrying handle and straps. We think this quilt would sew up beautifully in Liana by Kimberly Knight for Ruby Star Society.
#FQSPicnicPatterns Contest (Contest Closed)
Once you have packed your picnic pattern, enter a photo of your quilt top or finished project using #FQSPicnicPatterns on Facebook or Instagram. Tag us @fatquartershop and make sure your profile is public so we can see your post! Throughout the month of July, we’ll be keeping up with your projects using the hashtag #FQSPicnicPatterns. On August 31, we’ll pick a winner at random from Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag. You’ll have all summer to participate!
You could win this bundle!
This prize bundle includes some of our favorite notions and some exclusive fabric! The winner will receive two of the Fat Quarter Shop Exclusive Color Cuts Dessert Cuts, the Fat Quarter Shop Yardstick Box, and the Lori Holt Quick Press Seam Roller.
Congratulations to our Winner
We chose our winner by random drawing! Congratulations to Lorraine @Lorrisu2018 for being our winner! Lorraine sewed up Picnic Time by Fat Quarter Shop and did a wonderful job. Thank you to everyone who participated. We hope you had a wonderful summer of socially distanced picnics and sewing.
Downloading a PDF Pattern
Download PDF patterns easily using our step-by-step PDF Guide. Free PDF patterns can be downloaded by the click of a single button while paid patterns are loaded into your Fat Quarter Shop account. The guide teaches you how to access those paid patterns.