Pin cushions are a useful and thoughtful gift for quilters, and they make a nice addition to your sewing space! They’re also a cute, fun DIY project. Today, we’re sharing an easy pin cushion tutorial that’s a quick last-minute gift or a fun project for any skill level.
Pin Cushion Supplies
- Planter Pot (we used these matte cat planter pots from Amazon)
- Fabric (we used some scraps of Spotted by Zen Chic for Moda Fabrics starting with about a quarter of a yard)
- Poly-Fil (we used a 3oz bag for our set of six)
- Thread (any color will work as it won’t be seen in the final product)
- Hand Sewing Needle
- Marking Tool (we used a Frixion Erasable Pen)
- Bowl or plate (about twice the width of your planter pot opening)
Make a Pin Cushion
1.To make the pin cushion, you’ll need a bowl or plate that is about twice the width of your planter pot opening.
2. Trace around the circular object onto the wrong side of your fabric.
3. Now, you’ll cut out the circle you marked on your fabric. We did this with our favorite Sweet Snips scissors!
4. Next, take a needle and thread and stitch with a long running stitch around the outside edge of the circle about a quarter-inch in from the edge.
You may need to gather the fabric as you go to ensure you have enough thread to complete the stitching.
5. Be sure to go all the way around the circle with relatively even stitches. Just do your best. It’s okay if they aren’t perfect! Then, gently pull the thread to gather the fabric and create a small opening.
6. Fill the cushion with poly-fil or stuffing until it’s the fullest it can be and still close it, periodically testing the cushion by closing and reopening the opening.
7. Once you’re satisfied, stitch the opening closed in several directions and knot the thread to secure it.
Your cushion is all done and ready for the final step!
8. Finally, add your cushion to your planter pot (some other options would be to use your favorite mug or an antique tea cup)! You can use a few dots of hot glue if needed to secure the cushion in place. Now you have a beautiful and functional pin cushion that you made yourself!
It’s time to add your pins and needles! Thanks to your new pin cushion, you’ll always keep track of your prickliest notions, and you can rest easy knowing they’re close at hand in a cute little pincushion!
Giveaway! – CLOSED
Update: Congratulations to Marian Simons our giveaway winner!
And now for a giveaway! Here’s your chance to win a $25 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop! To enter, leave a comment below telling us what you plan to turn into a pin cushion or how you like to store your pins and needles!
- Leave a comment on THIS post to enter
- The giveaway ends on November 25, 2023, at 11:59 CST
- One winner will be chosen at random on November 26, 2023
- Open to all – both US and international
- We will notify the winner by email and update this post
Share with FQS!