We were thrilled to receive an invite from Pat Sloan to join her Holiday Celebrations Book Tour! Pat Sloan’s Holiday Celebrations Quilt Book is chock-full of holiday inspiration for all the memorable moments throughout the year. Pat has included 17 patchwork and fusible appliqué projects for Valentine’s Day, Easter, the Fourth of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
In celebration of the book release, Pat has planned some fun book giveaways and we have one here for you, too! Read on to find out more!
Quilty staffer Kate chose to make the Sparklers Quilt, and she’s here today to share it with you, so take it away Kate!
The Sparklers Quilt
This 4th of July-themed quilt was calling out to me. It’s stunning, so no wonder it’s on the cover of the book! Although I love the red, white and blue (especially the blue background – how fun is that?!), I wanted to try the quilt in Christmas colors. Here is Pat’s version:
And here is mine:
For my quilt, I chose a collection to match my home decor. It’s called Christmas Morning by Lella Boutique (due out later this summer), and it has some soft greens with gray and red that I really love.
For the background I chose a basic from Robin Pickens called Thatched. Since I changed the background from dark to light color, I modified the pattern to use a dark fabric where the pattern calls for light, and used a light fabric where the pattern calls for dark. I printed a copy of the pattern and used notes to label my fabrics to keep everything straight! Pat’s book is well-written and the pattern instructions are detailed with diagrams and photos. It’s nice and easy to follow.
Holiday Celebrations gives instructions for traditional piecing, but I used some Triangles on a Roll Triangle Paper to make the half square triangles and Flying Geese Foundation Paper Pads for the ribbon border. If you don’t have a quilt with a fancy inner border like this, you should try it. This was a first for me, and I like the result!
With those big blocks, Sparklers is a very satisfying quilt to make.
I used Scarlet Grunge for binding and Cuddle in Platinum as the backing. It’s sooo soft! The pantograph design is called Feliz Navidad by Urban Elementz, and it shows up beautifully on the Cuddle fabric.
Pat Sloan’s Holiday Celebrations Quilt Book has an amazing variety of quilts for all seasons, and I can’t wait to try more! You can follow the author, Pat Sloan, on Instagram (@quilterpatsloan) to see more of the quilts. Don’t forget to check out Pats’s Blog for coverage of the Holiday Celebrations Book Tour and visit all the stops on the tour!
Stops on the Tour
- May 31 – Martingale with a grand prize! martingale.com/
- June 1 – Jacquelynne Steves jacquelynnesteves.com
- June 2 – Andy Knowlton www.abrightcorner.com/
- June 3 – Blue Nickel Studios bluenickelstudios.com
- June 4 – Amy Smart www.diaryofaquilter.com/
- June 5 – Bonnie Hunter https://quiltville.com
- June 6 – YOU’RE HERE! fatquartershop.com/
- June 7 – Becky Thompson powertoolswiththread.com/
- June 8 – The Shibaguyz, Shannon and Jason Mullett-Bowlsby www.designz.shibaguyz.com
- June 9 – Bev McCullough flamingotoes.com/
- June 10 – Aurifil auribuzz.com/
- June 11 – Maureen Cracknell maureencracknellhandmade.com
- June 12 – Melissa Mortenson www.polkadotchair.com/
- June 14 – wrap up at Pat’s evening video patsloan.com/
- June 16 Grand Prize announced!
Holiday Celebrations Giveaway
And now for the giveaways! Here’s your chance to win a copy of Holiday Celebrations! To enter, leave a comment below telling me which holiday is your favorite.
- Leave a comment on THIS post to enter
- Giveaway ends on June 14, 2021 at 11:59 CST
- Winner chosen at random on June 15, 2021
- Open to all – both US and international (US residents will receive a printed copy of the book, E-book (PDF) for international)
- I will notify winner by email so be sure your email address is in your profile.
If you love the holidays like I do, be sure to go visit these creative quilting blogs for their takes on Pat’s designs. Up your chances of winning by posting comments on all of THEIR posts as well. Each of us is selecting one winner. Good luck!