We are talking all about throw pillows in today’s tutorial! Fabric and Quilt Designer Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts came to the Fat Quarter Shop studio for a visit and taught us easy throw pillow designs. These pillows can give an instant makeover to your couch, bedroom or guest room any time of year. If you want a break from larger projects and are looking for a weekend project that can be enjoyed right away, look no further.
Edyta’s designs are all from her latest book by It’s Sew Emma, Pillow Talk! The designs in her book range from beginner to advanced and can be made using any fabric combinations you like, or with the Pillow Kits that have all you need for your DIY pillow cover.
Edyta is pulling up now to tell you what you’ll need to make these fabulous throw pillows!
Learn what supplies you’ll need to get started. If you are reading this post via email, please click here to watch the video.
- Pillow Talk by Edyta Sitar
- You’ll need the book to access these patterns and finishing instructions.
- A Layer Cake or Fat Quarter Bundle
- Depending on how many pillows you are making, you’ll want to pick an appropriate bundle. You can also use scraps from home!
- Pillow Kits
- Instead of purchasing a bundle, you can get all you need to make your pillows look like Edyta’s with a kit.
- 50wt thread
- We recommend the Pillow Talk Small Auriful Thread Box
- 18″ Pillow Form
- 1 yard for backing and binding per pillow
- Creative Grids 18.5” square ruler
- Hobb’s Batting
Pillows for beginners
After you have gathered your supplies and have your patterns, you are ready to get sewing along with Edyta! Below, Edyta demonstrates how to sew the easy throw pillow designs from her book and provides helpful tips and tricks for beginners!
One of the easiest pillow patterns is the strip pillow! Edyta has several designs that use this technique. She goes into more detail in the video tutorial.
Now that you’ve gathered your supplies, your patterns and you’ve sewed along with Edyta, you’re ready to go! Get started on your beginner-friendly throw pillows and share your progress with us. We’d love to see how you incorporate DIY pillows into your home’s interior design.
Share with #pillowtalkbook
Be sure to join us on Pinterest here and give us a follow! All of the images on this post can be re-pinned so be sure to save all the pillows to share with your friends or save for later!