It’s officially the start to 2019 and the new year brings new resolutions! Whether your resolution is to finish your unfinished objects of 2018, organize your sewing area, or discover new projects, here are some quilty new year’s resolutions we got from our quilty friends that you can get on board with this year! Be sure to read to the bottom to see the details about a New Year’s Resolution GIVEAWAY.
2019 Quilty New Year’s Resolutions
1. Repurpose your scraps – Rather than store the scraps from your quilt in your stash, give your hand at transforming them into a Patchwork Pinwheel! Kimberly is planning on making a Patchwork Pinwheel from each of her finished quilts from this year and then making all of those into a completed quilt. This is a great way to see all of your quilts in one place at the end of 2019! Watch the tutorial Kimberly did on her livestream where she uses 1″ Half Square Triangle Paper to make them.
2. Use new sewing/quilting tools – New year calls for new sewing/quilting tools! Our quilty friend Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs is resolving to use her new Cricut Maker (affiliate link) to cut out all her applique freezer paper templates!
3. Get a head start on your Work in Progress (WIP) projects – We all have the long list of work in progress quilts that we just can never seem to check off. Prioritize which ones you want to get done and make 2019 the year you start completing them! Our quilty friend Sherri McConnell of A Quilting Life resolves to make her version of the Village Quilt the first work in progress she would like to finish this year! She is making her quilt from all of her collections from 2018: Bright Sun, Valley, Desert Bloom, Creekside, The Front Porch, Clover Hollow, and Walkabout.
4. Tackle those UFO’s (unfinished objects) – Just like those WIPs, UFOs are a big resolution for all of our quilty friends this year. Our quilty friend Pat Sloan is resolving to tackle binding her stack as her first UFO busting task of 2019!
5. Start a new pattern – New year, new pattern, new quilt! Our quilty friend and pattern designer Bonnie Olaveson of Cotton Way came out with two new patterns, Bake a Cake (left) and Starry Starry Night (right)! Both patterns are made with the new Bonnie & Camille Wovens.
6. Join quilty friends in a Blog A Long – Start a project and be held accountable to finishing by joining a quilt/sew/blog a long! Designers and shops (like ourselves) host these to help quilters of all skill levels make a quilt with a set schedule. Our quilty friend Lori Holt is hosting the Vintage Block Along on her blog (Bee in my Bonnet) and resolves to share the blocks with her followers and readers of her blog by doing a tutorial of each one. She will be using her Farm Girl Vintage collection to make her quilt!
7. Set quilty goals – Combat the 2019 WIPs and UFOs by setting quilty goals. Our quitly friend Camille Roskelley of Thimble Blossoms resolves to start (and finish) at least one big scrappy quilt and finally make a dent in her scrap bin in 2019!
8. Throw yourself a bone when you make a mistake – It’s easy to get caught up in the world of comparison with so many great quilters in our community! Everyone makes mistakes (even advanced quilters!) so don’t be too hard on yourself when you make one. Our quilty friend Jera Brandvig of Quilting in the Rain resolves to do just that! She’s currently working on a Drunkard’s Path quilt block using her Woodland Rose collection and the Fiskars Fabric Circle Cutter and if she makes a mistake, she’ll throw herself a bone and keep quilting!
9. Relax and enjoy the quilting process – And finally, even when the project, fabrics, scraps, notions and much more begin piling up, remember why you do all this in the first place: your love for quilting! Our quilty friend Sherri Falls of This & That Pattern Company resolves to actually make time for some personal sewing and slow down enough to enjoy it! [Featured in this photo: the Holiday Wishes Book]
New Year’s Resolution Giveaway
These are our some of our new year’s goals we hope to resolve in 2019! What are some of your quilty resolutions for 2019? Leave them in the comments down below and you’ll be entered to win a $50 FQS gift card! [One comment equals one entry. Giveaway ends 1/11/2019 at 11:59 PM CST. Winners will be chosen at random and contacted.]
We cannot wait for all of the fun things 2019 is going to bring! Be sure to keep up with us by following us on Facebook and Instagram, signing up for our newsletter and subscribing to the blog to stay up to date with all things Fat Quarter Shop.
Happy New Year and Happy Quilting!