We’re back with more throw pillows you can make at home! This time, we’re using applique to create circles, hearts and more. These simple shapes make lovely motifs. Applique doesn’t have to be intimidating. Fabric and Quilt Designer Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts came to the Fat Quarter Shop studio for a visit to show us just how simple it can be to make these beautiful pillow designs from her latest book, Pillow Talk: 25 Lovely Pillows for Your Home Sweet Home.
Edyta’s 18″ throw pillows will look fabulous on your couch, in your bedroom or in your guest room! Change them out seasonally to give your room a fresh look. The patterns are suited to beginner to advanced sewists and use a variety of techniques. They can be made using any fabric combinations you like, or with the Pillow Kits that have all you need to make yours just like the ones seen here.
Applique Pillow Techniques
In the tutorial, Edyta demonstrates how to sew the easy throw pillow designs from her book and provides helpful tips and tricks for beginners! Learn about using fusible applique and various finishing techniques and stitches to attach and embellish the shapes. If you are reading this post via email, please click here to watch the video.
- Pillow Talk: 25 Lovely Pillows for Your Home Sweet Home by Edyta Sitar
- You’ll need the book to access these patterns and finishing instructions.
- A Layer Cake or Fat Quarter Bundle
- Depending on how many pillows you are making, you’ll want to pick an appropriate bundle. You can also use scraps from your stash!
- Pillow Kits
- Instead of purchasing a bundle, you can get all you need to make your pillows look like Edyta’s with a kit. These pillow kits come with pre-cut fusible applique shapes that make it super quick to assemble a pillow top.
- 50wt thread
- We recommend the Pillow Talk Small Auriful Thread Box
- Schmetz 70/10 Super Nonstick Needles
- 18″ Pillow Form
- 1 yard for backing and binding per pillow
- 18.5” square ruler
- Lite Steam a Seam 2
- Heat n Bond Lite
- Sweetheart Stencil by Laundry Basket Quilts
- Pillow Talk Applique Shapes Stencil by Laundry Basket Quilts
- Invisafil Thread Pack
Applique Pillow Kits
Share with #pillowtalkbook
We’d love to see how you incorporate these DIY pillows into your home’s interior design, and if you do be sure to share your work using #pillowtalkbook and tag us (@fatquartershop) so we can see and share your work!
Be sure to join us on Pinterest here and give us a follow! All of the images on this post can be re-pinned so be sure to save all the pillows to share with your friends or save for later!