We wanted to add some extra cuteness to our kitchen this Christmas, and thought Pretty Potholders were a great place to start! We added Insul-Bright Batting to this little gal, so she can handle the heat in the kitchen. Insul-Bright is made to reflect heat or cold, making it perfect for handling hot pans of holiday cookies! Our Pretty Potholder features the 6″ Candy Canes Block from Lori Holt’s Vintage Christmas Book, but you can insert whichever block works best in your kitchen.
- Vintage Christmas Book by Lori Holt
- 10” square Aqua Print for the Block Background (SKU# C9144-SONGBIRD)
- 10” square Red Print for the Candy Canes Block (SKU# C9143-CAYENNE)
- 10” square Pink Print for the Candy Canes Block (SKU# C9139-FROSTING)
- 10” square White Print for the Candy Canes Block (SKU# C9131-CLOUD)
- Fat Quarter Lining and Backing (SKU# C9135-SONGBIRD)
- 1/4 yard Binding (SKU# C9131-VIVID)
- One package Insul-Bright Needle Punched Insulated Batting
- Lining and Backing
- 2 – 7.5” x 9.25” rectangles
- 1 – 7.5” square
- 2 – 2.25” x width of fabric strips
- 1 – 2.25” x 7.5” rectangle
- 1 – 7.5” x 9.25” rectangle
- 1 – 7.5” square
Make one 6″ finished Candy Canes Block from Lori Holt’s Vintage Christmas Book (page 14).
Layer the Candy Canes Block, 7.5” batting square and 7.5” lining square. Quilt as desired. Trim excess batting and lining. Pretty Potholder Front should measure 6.5” x 6.5”.
Fold the 2.25” x 7.5” rectangle in half, lengthwise. Press. Open and fold each edge in to meet the fold mark in the middle. Press. Fold in half again. Press.
Using your preferred binding method, attach the short binding strip to the top of the Pretty Potholder Front.
Layer the 7.5” x 9.25” lining rectangles and 7.5” x 9.25” batting rectangle. Quilt as desired. Trim Pretty Potholder Back to measure 6.5” x 8.25”.
Piece the 2.25” x width of fabric binding strips end to end for binding. Prepare binding strips as desired. Matching bottom edges, layer the Pretty Potholder Front right side up on the Pretty Potholder Back. Bind as desired.
Share with #fqsprettypotholder
Be sure to share your projects using #fqsprettypotholder hashtag and tag us (@fatquartershop) so we can see and share your work!
Thanks for sharing…….love it !!!
Lovely! I need a couple of these! Thanks for the tutorial!
Thank you so much for this pattern! Good gift idea for ALL year long!